Sunday 12 December 2010

Shortbread

Pre-Christmas biscuit-making season has begun, yay! You've already seen my oatmeal biscuits, they're yummy. Last night I made another batch and I also made some delicious shortbread. I looove shortbread. It oh so reminds me of my favourite place in the world, Scotland. I sometimes buy delicious Walker's shortbread but every December I make my own version.

I have this easy-peasy recipe from A Little Scottish Cookbook (The Appletree Press Ltd. 1988) and it works every time (I double the ingredients). The picture is from last year but it more or less looks pretty much the same every time I make it.



Shortbread

- 4 oz / 100 g / 1 cup plain flour
- 2 oz / 50 g / half cup rice flour
- 4 oz / 100 g / 1 cup butter
- 2 oz / 50 g / half cup caster sugar

Sieve the flour and rice flour. Add the sugar and butter and mix together until the mixture resembles the consistency of shortcrust pastry. Form into a square cake and cut into fingers. Pinch the edges and prick all over with a fork.

Bake in a a steady oven (gas mark 3, 325'F, 160'C) until beginning to colour, then lower the heat and bake fo a further 45 - 60 minutes.

Cool on grill pan tray.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking your time!