Thursday 19 May 2011

Vintage

A picture-heavy post - I couldn't decide which photos not to keep. It's an outfit from a few days ago and there's something rather special about it.



The skirt! I believe I can call it 'vintage' as it's over thirty years old. This precious garment, made of incredibly soft Indian cotton, used to be a dress which my Mom brought me from London when I was eight years old. She went there on a business trip and came home with, apart from some London souvenirs, a gorgeous little dress for her little girl (me!!!).



I loved that dress. Adored it. Once I grew out of it my Mum chopped the top off and turned it into a skirt. Which I wore quite a lot as well. But you know, over the years, as my sense of style was evolving, the skirt somehow got lost...



... until about a couple of months ago when I was going through some old things over at my parents' house and came across - my beloved skirt!!! As it's only a piece of fabric with some elastic in the waist, it still fits! And I'm in love all over again!



It does look a bit shabby from up close, there are some signs of wear within the creases, but I couldn't care less! I wear it with a petticoat or over my skinny jeans and it's perfect! Perfect!!!



There, that's the story. Apart from that, I was playing a little bit with my camera again. Hence so many pics. I hope you don't mind. I quite like the mirror images, if you don't mind my saying so, with all those photos of my two little ones (who am I kidding? my boy is turning ten in less than three weeks, it's only a matter of a few months and he'll be taller than me...).



Oh, it's just crossed my mind, the head-scarf I'm wearing is vintage as well! It's a hand-me-down from my Mum, it must be older than me, I guess. Which is pretty old, trust me.



So, I'm wearing:

- flats - Killah
- tights - Polzela (local brand)
- petticoat - cheap shop summer dress turned into skirt (seems to run in the family, this turning-dresses-into-skirts-thing...)
- skirt - former dress, Mum's gift from London in 1980
- jacket - Tom Tailor
- silk scarf - my Mum's
- silk head-scarf - hand-me-down from my Mum, definitely vintage
- brooches - me-made (Liberty fabric)
- earrings - Michael Michaud for National Gallery London
- sunglasses - Marks&Spencer
- camera - Sony (last year's birthday gift from husband)



In concert tonight!

3 comments:

  1. ph yeah, your liberty slowers! lovely, and much neater looking than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Franca - thank you! I really like your flowers as well, they have a real vintage-y feel!

    Claudio - thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time!