Sunday 31 July 2011

Being Creative Gallery - Summer


I really like this month's Being Creative theme, it provides so many different options to make something pretty! I thought for a long time about what I should make and in the end it took one extremely enjoyable bike ride with my husband for me to make my mind up.



I have been admiring blooming summer meadows for weeks now. I simply adore the colours they offer, from neutral whites and creams to vibrant pinks and violets, and the smell of fresh flowers blooming in the field cannot be compared to anything - yarrow, meadow clary, buttercups, shasta daisies, bluebells, goldenrods... oh my!



The area where I live provides us with abundance of quiet country lanes for cycling. The other day my husband and I embarked on an evening ride towards a secluded village not far away from our town. We followed the road along the edge of the forest and throughout our journey we were blessed with the sights and smells of the most gorgeous summer meadows. I inhaled every bit of the fresh air I could get and the entire time there was one thing in my mind - how could I capture this moment and make it eternal?



After we'd come home I started stitching. The image must have grown in my mind during the bike ride and this is what came out. A pretty little embroidery of a summer meadow! I wasn't entirely sure what to do with it at first but then it crossed my mind that I could not only capture the sight but also the smell so I made a little bag and filled it with lavender.



I love the smell of lavender - even though it doesn't entirely match the smell of a summer meadow it does remind me of summer and this little bag is now a faithful companion on my summer outings.

11 comments:

  1. What a fabulous bag - I have just bought some lavender plants for my front garden. The smell is always special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so envious of your bike ride and how you describe it.... it was almost there with you :)
    I live in a loud, crazy and dirty city so just reading about the gorgeous blooming meadows was a treat. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhhhhhhhh my goodness - I do love this, yes I do - it makes me quite happy to look at it, what a glorious idea, and the lavender inside is just a heavenly scent of summer!! Thank you for sharing your link to this beautiful and imaginative piece of embroidery!

    Julia x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How gorgeous! I love your little stitched flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful and so beautiful work! Lovely idea to keep memories of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's beautiful! I love the freestyle embroidery :)
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOh what a fantastic little bag packed full of summer scents, images and memories! I love the story behind your creation Biba and really admire your embroidery!
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just LOVE this so much - the embroidery is just so pretty, and I think it's such a lovely idea to fill it with lavender like that - just so wonderfully summery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a really lovely little bag. Beautifully stitched, very evocative of a summer meadow. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for all your kind comments, everyone! Very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time!