Saturday 30 April 2011

Being Creative Gallery - Dessert


For this month's theme, dessert, I decided to make the actual thing, with Easter holiday conveniently asking for some baked goodies to be put on the table!


DSC02054 by Angels&Blossoms

I made my absolutely favourite Easter treat, traditionally British (has to be, I've expressed my sincere love and affection for the Island often enough...) - Simnel Cake. I love the rich taste of dried fruit and marzipan, and I was brave enough to make my own marzipan this year! The absolutely wonderful recipe from an old issue of the Country Living magazine proved to be extremely helpful, of course.

DSC02056 by Angels&Blossoms

This time I made twelve marzipan balls, for the twelve apostles (I followed the recipe...) instead of eleven - some recipes suggest one should leave out Judas, but, since 'he' gets eaten anyway, why bother... :)

My little girl helped with the choice of ribbons, I thought they were splendid!

And, needless to say, the cake was absolutely and utterly delicious. What you see on the pics... ancient history!

P.S.: I did manage to slightly burn the top layer, sorry about that, but luckily my little accident did not affect the taste of my masterpiece!

6 comments:

  1. woah that cake looks so good... i want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strangely, I don't like marzipan but I love simnel cake! I think it's because the marzipan goes all goey and chewy. Anyway, yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never ever heard of this cake !
    However it looks so good I even want to eat the ribbon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all the lovely comments!

    Lorena - I've nearly fallen off my chair with laughter :)
    P.S.: The ribbons are still to be had (unlike the cake...):)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fabulous!! I love how so many people translated this months theme to create real life edible desserts, which are most certainly works of art!! Looks scrumptious!!
    J x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time!