Friday 4 November 2011

Current Reading & Favourite Books

Hi, everyone, it's been a long time! Another translating job done, hopefully I'll have some time for myself now... :) As I've mentioned in my last Gratitude Post I do follow your blogs regularly, I just don't invest much time into comments when I have deadlines to meet.

I've just checked Franca's blog and her topic really appealed to me - reading! I've told you before that I can't imagine life without books and I'm always ready to share my current bedside (and any other side, for that matter) read. As a voracious reader, I have a list of favourite books as well, naturally. So, here goes:

- at the moment I'm reading 'The Miracle of Grace' by the contemporary Irish author Kate Kerrigan. It's a brilliant book about mother-daughter relationship, highly recommended for all mums and daughters out there!



- before 'Grace' I again spent a considerable amount of time re-reading Agatha Christie's books. What can I say? I'm a fan.


- another great book which I read about a year ago (at the time when my husband lost his Dad) was a breath-taking novel by Brian J. Gail, 'Fatherless', about a Catholic priest and his parishioners dealing with Life.


- I totally adore novels by Louise Harwood, my two favourites being 'Calling On Lily' and 'Six Reasons to Stay a Virgin' - I know, chic lit, but really irresistible.


- one of my all-time favourite authors must be Ian McEwan - every time he publishes a book I literally devour it, and am always hungry for more...


- another member of the above-mentioned category is definitely the British author David Lodge, his books practically read themselves once you open them...


- I really enjoyed 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows that I read a while ago - do have a look!


- books that I've re-read countless times include 'Pride & Prejudice' by Jane Austen (I bet you've never heard of her!), my Collins Cobuild English Language Dictionary (yes, I'm afraid I'm the sort of person who enjoys reading dictionaries...), and DK's Eyewitness Travel 'Back Roads Great Britain' - yes, I read travel guides for pleasure as well. I'm that weird.






- plus there's a book I'm really looking forward to reading as soon as I finish 'Grace', it's a study on modern Britain by Danny Dorling called 'So You Think You Know About Britain?' - I was told it was tremendously enjoyable. Can't wait!


What are your favourite books and what are you reading at the moment? Do share, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking your time!